What is Handmade Canberra?
Handmade Canberra is a quarterly, award-winning, market offering both in-person and online market events. We offer creatives the opportunity to have a market stall at our in person events and we have also successfully expanded into online markets, which enables us to provide stallholders who may not wish to travel, an opportunity to join the Handmade Canberra community. You can participate in all our online events from wherever you are located in Australia.
Handmade Canberra is registered with the Australian Made Campaign and we are a proudly all Australian-made market. This means that when you register to be part of the Handmade Canberra community, you can be rest assured that the makers you will be selling alongside at all our events both in-person and online will be selling products that meet our very strict Australian-made criteria.
why should you join us?
Handmade Canberra is Canberra’s favourite hand made food and design market and has won multiple awards. Both our in-person and online events are curated and celebrate the best of Australian-made design and workmanship. Attracting thousands of design loving customers at every event, our passionate audience love supporting small businesses just like yours!
Handmade Canberra has been created by designers for designers and our team understand the needs of our stallholders firsthand and will provide support and opportunities to maximise your success. We are more than just a market, we are a community of small business owners that are passionate about handmade Australian products. Whether you’re new to selling at markets or a market veteran, we believe that working together can help grow both our brands (yours and ours!)
What is the Process for Registering with Handmade Canberra?
Below you will find all the information you need to join the Handmade Canberra community. To make sure you will be a good fit please read through the information thoroughly before you apply.
STEP 1-Read the important seller information on this page.
Criteria to join Handmade Canberra – Do you have what it takes?
The Handmade Market is a curated event. We are looking for designers, makers and producers that will be a great fit for our markets and customers. You do not have to have an ABN or be registered with the Australian Made Campaign to sell at our events.
Please be aware that we have a strict Australian-made criteria. If you do not meet the criteria you will not be accepted. The criteria is as follows:
Handmade = of an original design, concept, and product of the seller’s making.
In Australia = Each product is made, developed and produced in Australia from Australian and/or imported ingredients or elements*
**Note: if imported ingredients are used in your products, the product must meet the substantial transformation test. Please also note that we do not accept Fair Trade products.
What do you receive as part of your annual fee with the Handmade Canberra community and how much does it cost?
If your registration is successful, there is a $100 yearly admin fee. Once the fee is paid you will have access to the following:
- A permanent listing in the Australian Made Directory that you can update at any time and a listing in the market line up on our website for each event, which is great for SEO.
- The ability to apply for our in-person markets which are award-winning, indoors and fully air conditioned/heated. FREE parking is also included with easy access to the building for bump in and bump out. You will also have access to our dedicated install team to hire power, table, chairs etc.
- Stall holder networking on the Saturday night of the in-person markets. A free stallholder drinks card is provided to each stall holder upon arrival.
- The ability to apply for our online promotions.
- Only approved stallholders will be eligible to attend our events and once you are registered there is no need to re-register for each event. Your details are kept in your online profile to make applying for our events easy!
- Media call outs from local news and media and additional promotional opportunities to get front of our large social media following and email database of over 100,000+ people who are passionate about handmade Australian products.
- Access to our Member Resource Area which provides you with discounts from our partners which currently include Australia post, Winc office supplies and a range of digital courses.
- As a retail supporter of the Australian Made Campaign, we carry the Australian made logo on all our events. We also have hints and tips on getting accredited yourself!
- Access to our private stallholder Facebook group which provides support in the form of updates, hints and tips.
- Support from our friendly team members who understand the needs of stallholders and are committed to providing an environment to help you and your business thrive.
Can I sign up to be a member if I don’t want to attend any markets (online or in-person) as a stallholder?
If online and in-person markets aren’t your thing, but you would like to join our community to gain access to the other benefits we provide to our members (for example, having a profile listing in the Australian Made Directory) you absolutely can! The process for applying is the same.
What is the cost for your events?
In person and online market fees are additional depending on the events you apply for. Please make sure you read the terms and conditions for our events before registering.
IMPORTANT: You will be required to provide a $10 million public liability market insurance certificate of currency. Food & drink stalls are responsible for the required permits for your products.
Sell your Australian handmade products online
One day Duration: 9am – 9pm (usually Saturday)
Cost (inc. GST): $150
In-Person Markets (Canberra)
Two-day market duration: 10am – 4pm, (Saturday and Sunday)
Two-day market cost (inc. GST):
- Small stall 2x2m – $500
- Small stall with corner – $580
- Large stall 3x3m –$700
- Large stall with corner – $800
- Food Van – $900
Three-day market duration: 5pm – 9pm (Friday), 10am – 4pm (Saturday & Sunday)
Three-day market cost (inc. GST):
- Small stall 2x2m – $750
- Small stall with corner – $830
- Large stall 3x3m – $960
- Large stall with corner – $1060
- Food Van – $1060
Keep reading, you’ve got this – we’re almost at Step 2!
STEP 2- Get involved with the Handmade Community and Register!
The next step is an easy one. Now you have read all the information, terms and conditions and fit the criteria just fill in the form… it’s that easy!
What our stallholders say about being part of the Handmade Canberra Community…
“We joined the Handmade Market back in March 2017 and were immediately welcomed in by the team and fellow stallholders. Quickly we learned that the Handmade team make their stallholders a priority, offering all types of support through their stallholder portal and a friendly ear in a times of need. When the global pandemic hit we thought that was it for us, with markets everywhere cancelled for the foreseeable future. The team at Handmade were very quick to pivot by supporting their stallholders with online markets throughout the year that were a hit for us. We are not sure our business would have survived and thrived so well without the team behind us every step of the way.”Mrs Nargar & Co
“Handmade Canberra is honestly the most organised, informative, curated market we attend. The quality and diversity of stall holders is next level, with an atmosphere on market day that that isn’t found anywhere else. It’s worth the drive for us every single time and never disappoints. You have to see it at least once in your lifetime!”Leroy Mac Designs
STEP 3: Eagerly await our response
Registrations are normally assessed within 5 – 10 business days and we DO respond to every registration. If you do not hear from us please contact us on email@example.com after 10 business days have passed since you applied.
If you are successful you will be notified via email and an invoice will be sent for payment.
Once payment is received we will send you the information you need so that you can:
- Create your account for the Handmade Canberra website
- Create your business listing in our Australian Made Directory: 100 word bio, 5 images and links to your social accounts and website. Be sure to upload your Public Liability Insurance Certificate too so you can apply for events when the applications open.
- Access the Member Resource Area so you can see all of the available discounts and value added resources we are regularly adding to.
- Request to be added to the Stall Holder Only Facebook group
If you are unsuccessful
We are sorry but there is something about your product or production process that makes it not the right fit for Handmade Canberra. If your product changes significantly in the future, please feel free to register again.