Did you know that Australian Native Bees are vital for our food supply and are responsible for the pollination of approximately 80% of the food we eat! Not only that, they also pollinate one third of the World’s flowers. That’s why this World Bee Day we are just buzzing with excitement to help spread the word about how important our Bees are!
What is World Bee Day?
In 2018 the United Nations nominated 20th of May each year as World Bee Day because they wanted to highlight what an important role our Bees have in keeping us all fed. They are an essential part of our ecosystem and play a key role in agriculture. Without bees, there would be no fruit, vegetables, nuts, seeds, grains, beans, legumes, herbs, spices, flowers, or, dare I say it, chocolate!
Fun Facts about Bees
Here are some fun facts about Bees that you might not know!
- Bees pollinate one third of the world’s flowering plants
- Their ‘buzzing’ sound comes from them beating their wings 11,400 times per minute
- Worker bees communicate through a series of dance moves, known as the ‘waggle dance’
- Only female bees can sting and once they have stung, will die
- Bees have a total of 5 eyes – Two large ones on each side of their head and three very small ones, located between the two larger eyes
- Each bee produces approximately half a teaspoon of honey in their lifetime
- A Queen bee can lay twice its bodyweight in eggs each day
- As you can see, bees are amazing and our world would not be the same without them. On World Bee Day, we should celebrate them by learning about their importance and supporting
- bee keeping practices. Here are a few of our favourite Australian-made bee products.
Below you will find some of our Australian Made Designers and Producers who are passionate about bees and their conservation:
So why not buzz on over to the Handmade Directory to check out our amazing designers and their bee-related products!