What is World Bee Day?
Fun Facts about Bees
Here are some fun facts about Bees that you might not know!
- Bees pollinate one third of the world’s flowering plants
- Their ‘buzzing’ sound comes from them beating their wings 11,400 times per minute
- Worker bees communicate through a series of dance moves, known as the ‘waggle dance’
- Only female bees can sting and once they have stung, will die
- Bees have a total of 5 eyes – Two large ones on each side of their head and three very small ones, located between the two larger eyes
- Each bee produces approximately half a teaspoon of honey in their lifetime
- A Queen bee can lay twice its bodyweight in eggs each day
8 Frame Honey operates on the northern outskirts of Canberra. Beekeeper Ben has a passion for teaching people about what’s involved in becoming a backyard beekeeper and runs beekeeping courses from October through to March. Ben is focused on teaching people about the importance of bees and making beekeeping accessible to people with physical limitations. He also grows lavender on his farm for his bees, which he harvests to create beautiful eye pillows and lavender bags.
Shorthive Honey create a range of delicious gourmet infused honeys in flavours such as chocolate , espresso and chilli. Perfect for the adventurous honey lover, their honeys are thick and decadent and perfect for drizzling on pancakes or icecream!
Honey & Glow make a range of products from the hive. If you’re all about switching up the products in your home for their sustainable, no-tox, hand made, 100% natural alternatives then Honey & Glow have you covered. Their all-Australian beeswax based body products are kind to your skin, kind to the environment and kind to our all-important bees.
Apiary Made celebrates the humble bee by hand crafting products derived from the beehive. The Apiary Made range consists of beeswax food wraps, wildflower and medicinal Jelly Bush honey, 100% natural skincare, organic bee pollen and ceramic and beeswax candles.
Beeswax Wraps Australia offer a range of over 20 beautiful and authentic bees wax wrap designs, featuring Australiana & Dreamtime artworks from local artists. Each design shares captivating stories of our connection to the land and to each other and provides a combination of great design and functionality that you will simply love using in your home.
So why not buzz on over to the Handmade Directory to check out our amazing designers and their bee-related products!