The Handmade Market is a beautiful indoor market created to support Australian designers. The Handmade Market brings together, the very best products from independent designers, artisans, craftspeople and gourmet food makers from around Australia.
Customers to our events number over 20,000+ over each weekend event – seriously! The market is held at EPIC, Exhibition Park in Canberra and can cope beautifully with these massive numbers.
We have won a number of awards. In 2012, we won the Canberra Business Point Award, were finalists in the Telstra Business Award and won a commendation at the ACT Tourism Awards. In 2013, we won the ACT Telstra Business Awards, ACT Canberra Business Point Awards and an ACT Tourism Commendation. In 2014, we were finalists in the ACT Telstra Business Awards and the ACT Canberra Business Point Awards.
Showcasing new & emerging designers, and helping handmade designers and food producers gain exposure and opportunities to develop their brand presence with retailers and the media is what we are all about. Each event is an opportunity for YOU to interact directly with your customers, gain important insight into your work and be seen by a wider audience. You pay a lot of money to attend a Handmade Market, so please make sure you read all the information on our website so that you can make the most of the opportunities of being part of our wonderful event.
These are the questions we get asked:-
About your stall.
- How long does the market run for?
- The markets run from 10m until 4pm on the Saturday and Sunday of the event. The Christmas market has an extra day, with evening trading from 5pm until 9pm on the Friday. Both days, and in the case of the Christmas market, attending all days, are mandatory.
- What else is available for my stall?
- You can request a corner space (for an additional cost of $80 for small and $100 for large corners). These are limited and we cannot offer everyone who asks – sorry but we do try to spread the love though! Power is included for extra large food stalls and coffee vans. However, it is not included for other stalls. To book power and hire of tables, chairs etc. through the hiring provider, we will provide a link to their form and payment. Payment goes directly to the hiring provider, not us. All of this is in the Stallholder Handbook available to you on acceptance.
- Do I need to run my own stall on the day?
- YES, It is preferable, as you know your products best. If you are sending someone else please make sure we are aware of this via email. Preference is given to those attending themselves.
- Can I share a stall at the market?
- No sorry, not with another business. Everything you sell must be yours. Please do not bring another designer’s goods on the day and hope we will not notice.
- Can I apply or trade for only one of the event days?
- No sorry, two days only, and three for Christmas. Make sure you bring enough stock it is such a shame to sell out on the first day and miss out on all those sales.
- Is there a hire service for power and tables etc?
- Yes there is. This is not something we arrange and this must be done through the hire group. This information is given to you with your Stallholder Handbook. Payment for these items goes directly to the hiring group not us.
- Can I request to be next to someone or in a particular spot?
- You sure can! We have a section on our form where you can request to be near a friend or someone you work well with at other markets, have a wall or be in natural light etc. It never hurts to ask and we will always try to accommodate any requests we can. Please note it’s not a given and, against popular belief, we can’t please everyone.
- I am applying from interstate, can I courier the stock to the venue?
- Yes, you can. Details are in our stallholder handbook & available to you once approved.
- Do I need public Liability Insurance?
- You must be covered by a policy, and we will require evidence that it is current. You will need min $10Million public Liability Insurance in your business’s name.
- Do I need an ABN?
- No you don’t need to have a registered ABN to trade at the Handmade Market. If you do not though you should think about getting one from the ABR for your business.
- Do I need Eftpos and is there an ATM?
- You do not need to have Eftpos but the retailers that do say it does help with sales. There are four ATMs on site located at the venue.
About applying for Handmade.
- How do I apply?
- First, you fill out the registration form to become an approved stallholder. Here we ask you about your business, your target audience and your products, asking you to include great product shots. Once you have submitted this form, you will hear back from us within 5-10 business days to tell you whether you have been approved.
- Once approved you do not need to register again unless it is longer than 12 months between attending Handmade. When applications open we will email all traders on the approved trader registration list.
- Registrations are open all year round. A one-off $35 admin fee applies when you attend your first event with us.
- When do I know if I get into a market?
- We send the application email the week following a previous event. You are given a week to respond and we take a week to curate and make offers.
- If I don’t get a place will I still hear from you?
- Yes you sure will, that’s how we roll. Everyone who says they want to attend the event receives a response. Make sure you have Handmade in your address book so emails don’t go astray. We wouldn’t want you to miss our response. Please check your spam folder and then email us if you did not hear back from us.
- When do I have to pay for my space?
- You will be directed to the payment gateway from your acceptance email. Payment has to be made within 7 days after acceptance. If you cannot afford to pay your invoice, please reconsider if you are ready to attend a market.
- What if I need to cancel after I have paid?
- After payment is made for your stall, NO refunds are given. There are no transfers or rollover of credit for the next market date. Written notification of non-attendance of an allocated market is required. Please contact us ASAP if for some reason you cannot attend. Please do not apply for the market if you cannot afford to pay your invoice. We do understand that emergencies happen and take each cancellation on its merit. Simply changing your mind is not an option.
About being Australian Made
- Who can register to attend Handmade?
- Anyone with their own Australian made, handmade products. If you design your products but you have them made for you, you MUST let us know in your application. We Do NOT accept Fair trade items for sale. If this is how your business is structured we cannot offer you a spot at Handmade. This decision is final. Your product must be made in Australia.
- If I have components in my finished product from overseas is that acceptable?
- Yes it is. We understand that if you are a jewellery designer, for example, then you are probably ordering components from overseas. You must be designing the pieces and constructing the finished item in Australia. For example using a gorgeous Russian linen for screen printing your design yourself is acceptable. If your item, for ACCC standards, then shows a tag saying “made in Russia” because the linen etc is from Russia that is OK. A small printable sign will be provided to you to be placed on your stall.
- Do I have to make my own products?
- We would prefer this. However, we understand that it’s not always possible to make all of your own products. If you are asking others to make things for you, the idea/recipe/concept MUST be yours and you need to coordinate the making of the product. Please note that asking another individual or small business to help you make your products is in the spirit of Handmade. However, large scale manufacturing by larger businesses is not. We reserve the right to accept or reject products.
Now you are an Australian Made Retail Supporter, do my products need to have the Australian Made Trademark / Certification to trade with The Handmade Market?
- No, your products just need to be made in Australia to apply. If your products are trademarked or certified that is great. Some stallholder products will be AMC approved but that is up to each individual business.
There are a number of things that we consider when selecting retailers. These include:
Stallholders attending themselves.
How many other Canberra events and shops you are in.
The quality, range and style of products
Merchandising and presentation of products, on the stall and through photography
Uniqueness of the product
Appropriate, suitable and viable for selling at the markets
Other places the product is available for sale
Right fit for the Handmade customer demographic
Online and social media activity
The amount of information provided in the application plays a big part in helping us to assess individual businesses when deciding who to take for each market. Acceptance into Handmade is highly competitive with many more approved applicants than positions available at each market. The better your stall, photographs and profile, the better your chances of attending the market.
Before applying you MUST also read our Terms & Conditions page, which contains our fine print and essential reading. Don’t try to fill out the application form without reading it – that would just be plain silly!