Have you come across Tread & Pedals on your rounds of the Handmade Market? If not, please stop by on September 10 & 11 (10am-4pm) at EPIC, because Em and Ivan are always ready with a smile and a story about their unique creations. We asked Em our five questions:
- What is your business all about?
At Tread & Pedals we re-purpose old bicycle parts into fun and functional designs.We started Tread & Pedals out of a a desire to reduce the amount of bike parts headed for landfill, to find them an alternate use and give them a fresh new lease on life. Ivan’s background in engineering and my background in the arts,combined with our shared passion for bicycles, sustainability and design, led to the evolution of our brand and diverse product range. When we are not up to our elbows upcycling bicycle parts into homewares, accessories and jewellery you’ll find us cycling.
It is a dream come true for us to be able to have a business that celebrates our love of bicycles, design, the arts and sustainability. We feel incredibly indulged being able to wake each day and make a living doing something that we love (corny I know, but true).
- What advice would you give to first time stall holders at Handmade?
Be prepared for a weekend full to the brim of warm fuzzy feelings and plenty of caffeinated goodness. This market is filled with some of the best stallholders around, it has brilliant organisers and the most amazing customers.We’ve sold out of certain items at the Handmade Market in the past, so be sure to make and bring along mountains of stock. When you think you have enough stock, consider doubling it.
- What’s the best thing about Handmade?The best thing about Handmade would have to be the people – the customers, fellow stallholders and event organisers are some of the best people getting around. The appreciation and celebration of handmade items at this market is what truly makes it special and unlike any other market out there.
- What’s new for the next market?We’ve been busy bring to life many items we have had on the old drawing board for some time and are mighty excited to share them with you all at the next Market. We have been welding up a storm – new items include beautiful bike chain bowls, candelabras, bike chain trophy buckles, large barn chic wall clocks, more jewellery for the fellas and ladies, light fixtures and oh so much more…
- Sum up your business in THREE words.Fun, Up-cycling, Bicycles!
We’re really looking forward to seeing Tread & Pedals in September – thanks for talking to us Em!