We’re delighted that you’re interested in selling your beautiful products at the Handmade Market. We can’t wait to see what you’ve got. Handmade has a set of standards that helps us to run a well-organised event and our stall holders to sell successfully.
We therefore ask that you read everything on this page very carefully, including the stall holder handbook at the bottom of the page, before you apply. It will tell you everything you need to know.
It is a condition of applying to The Handmade Market that you read ALL of the terms and conditions written here and put them into practice if accepted to the market.
- All products offered for sale must be made in Australia. No Fair Trade items can be sold at the Handmade Market.
- If you do not produce your own designs please explain the process on your application form.
- For Handmade, adding packaging to a pre-bought product is not sufficient involvement. Stallholders who value-add to a product must provide significant creative input to the product and not just apply token additions. This will be closely monitored and if you are found to be doing so you will not be invited back.
- If you design your products but you have them made for you, you MUST let us know in your application. We DO NOT accept Fair trade items for sale. If this is how your business is structured we unfortunately cannot accept you as we have had too many designers take advantage of this. This decision is final.
- Handmade is committed to promoting you on social media and has a significant following. Adding a button or link from your website/social media is not only smart and good for your sales, it is also a condition of entry to being a stallholder. Buttons and logos are provided on the designer news page. Your social media activity will be monitored while the market is being promoted.
- You are required to provide Handmade with at least one product shot that represents your brand. Any images you provide may be used by Handmade in promotional material.
- You cannot share stalls or sell another person’s items.
- Stalls cannot be transferred, sublet, franchised or sold to any other person, nor can they be shared without written approval from management. You do not own a space at Handmade.
- Any stallholder found confronting another stallholder for any reason will not be invited back. We do not tolerate this type of behaviour at Handmade.
- Only products listed and approved by the management on the current application may be sold. If you wish to add new items to your stall, a request in writing, with photos, must be approved by the management. This list is kept on file and will be used for spot checks.
- Pack up time is 4pm on Sunday. NO cars are allowed on site before 4.15pm.
No early pack up is ever permitted – there are no prizes for the first person packed up on Sunday.
- Stalls can be left set up overnight within the market. Please cover stalls and you should remove any valuable items overnight for your peace of mind. While there is 24 hour security, Handmade Market is not responsible for any items left overnight.
- Please note that there is a 50% cancellation fee up until one month before the event. After this time NO refunds are given after payment has been received. There are no transfers or rollover of credit for the next market date. Written notification of non-attendance of an allocated market is required. Please contact us ASAP if for some reason you cannot attend. Please do not apply for the market if you cannot afford to pay your invoice. We do understand that emergencies happen and take each cancellation on its merit. Simply changing your mind will not get you a refund and we are big believers in karma.
- All stallholders must present their stalls in a professional, stylish and clean manner. Bespoke stalls are the most effective way of displaying products. Tables are to be completely covered by a table cover, crease free, and any boxes/packaging/suitcases etc. must be hidden from view and not impose on neighbouring stallholders’ displays.
- The minimum standard you should have on your stall is a large amount of stock, a banner or signage, business cards and a smile. Your branding must be on display so that shoppers can see who you are.
- Copying the ideas and work of other stallholders may be in breach of creative copyright and is not in the spirit of the market. Any grievances must be in writing – do not confront another designer yourself – that’s why we get paid the big bucks.
- Raffle tickets may not be sold unless pre-approved by us. Only approved flyers may be displayed on stalls. Please ask though as cross promotion can be a beautiful thing!
- Stallholders are responsible for leaving their site and surrounding area clean & tidy. Boxes & cartons must be removed from market area. Please do NOT use market bins – industrial bins are located near the loading dock for packaging etc. (not your lunch or a coffee cup). We have significant numbers at the market and the bins are only just big enough for general rubbish. If you are found to be leaving other rubbish you will not be offered another spot at Handmade.
- Stallholders must confine their displays to their allocated space. Signs and displays must be within this area. Please keep pathways clear for patrons.
- Stallholders using gas or electrical appliances must have a suitable fire extinguisher or fire blanket on site. Electrical leads must be tagged by a qualified tester every 3 months. This is your responsibility to maintain and will be monitored.
- It is the responsibility of the stall holder to trade in accordance with the Market, State and Local Shire regulations. Food stallholders must be registered with the market’s local council. It is your responsibility, not Handmade’s, that you are registered.
- It is the responsibility of the stall holder to ensure they conform to any Australian standards, ACCC, pertaining to their product. Handmade will not be held accountable for any trademark, copyright or safety infringement.
- Loud product promotion by stallholders is not permitted but dancing and interpretive dance is!
- The stallholder must have read and understand the mandatory safety standards applicable to their products and labelling. You can check this at http://www.accc.gov.au.
- Handmade accepts no responsibility for damages to persons or goods, but we will be sympathetic and may provide a band aid if needed.
- There is a one off $25 admin fee for all new applications once approved, this covers the cost of setting you up as a new fancy pants designer with us.
- Handmade has the right to withdraw the right of trade of any stall holder in dispute with Handmade or any persons. Right to trade will be only reinstated if the dispute is resolved to Management satisfaction. Handmade does not accept any responsibility for costs incurred by any stallholder in dispute with Handmade (this includes advertising, accommodation and equipment hire) if their offer to trade at the Handmade Market has been withdrawn.
- Handmade has the right to reject any stall holder whom they believe does not comply with the stated regulations above.
- If you are selling food, you need to provide a copy of your food business registration in addition to your public liability insurance.
Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom, that makes you super awesome in our books. We realise there is a lot of information here but most of it is just common sense, bring a little of that and you will be sweet!
Handmade is all about made in Australia – promoting and supporting local businesses. While we respect the work done by Fair Trade businesses, we don’t accept them as stall holders. We carefully monitor the products sold at the market to ensure that they all follow this code.
With a large social media, subscriber and website following, Handmade is active online and invites its designers and producers to do the same. When you are accepted as a stall holder, you are provided with a toolkit to tell your own followers about Handmade. Adding a link from your website and talking about the event is part of being a stallholder.
We have a beautiful online directory populated with the images our stall holders put in their applications. The better the image, the more likely we are to use it on social media and to talk about the products in it. A great set of photographs will therefore bring customers directly to your stall.
If you’ve visited the market, you’ll see that many of our stall holders have gone to a lot of trouble to brand themselves. Your branding needs to be visible on your stall and your display needs to be imaginative and planned (a long way from just a table with product piled on it). This is what we expect from all of our stallholders, and that’s what makes the market so popular with design enthusiasts.
LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR
One of the main comments we receive from our Handmade designers and producers is that this is the friendliest market they do! We love the fact that neighbours support each other, meet for drinks on the Saturday night and keep in touch after the market. While we’re all there to make a living, we choose to do it in an open, collaborative and happy way.