Now here’s a producer that you’re going to want to know about – have you got your doughnut on? We thought so! We welcome to Handmade the team from Krofne. Based on a family recipe from Croatia, these doughnuts are heaven on a plate. And they will be available for the first time at Handmade on 10 & 11 December! But don’t take our word for it, here’s what Danijela Vrkic from Krofne had to say when we asked her our questions.
- What is your business all about?
Our business is about Krofne, European style fresh donuts. One bite and you’ll be hooked on Krofne. These donuts are European yeast style donuts filled with jam or Nutella. And SOOOOO good. A Croatian family recipe which has been handed down for at least 4 generations is bringing these delicious creations to life. My husband and I have a 15-year-old son, Anthony, with Down Syndrome, and we were looking for a business that he could be fully involved in post-school. And Anthony just loves it, spending a few hours each week making and selling our family’s donuts.The Krofne are handmade each morning. The dough is proved for a number of hours, rolled and cut, proved for a second time, fried, filled, rolled in sugar and then served. You can choose from jam filled – filled with delicious Hanks three berry jam which contains no preservatives or gelatine and is seriously good jam – or the ever-popular Nutella. Krofne are preservative-free, made using only the freshest quality ingredients, sourced from local and regional producers including free range eggs from Long Paddock in Bungendore, flour from Ben Furney Flour Mills in Dubbo and jam from Hanks Jams in Brookvale.
- What made you apply to Handmade?
We applied to the Handmade Market because we have a unique product. It is fully handcrafted and most of the work is done in front of the customer. They will see us rolling, cutting & proving the dough and then cooking it in front of their eyes – you certainly can’t get fresher than that. We thought that by coming along to the Handmade Market it will give us greater exposure and also be very entertaining to the market’s visitors. We want to show Canberra what a really wonderful product a Krofne donut is!
- What will Santa be bringing you this year?
I don’t know what Santa is bringing me, It is always a surprise, but I do wish for continued good health, love & happiness.
- Finally, Danijela, do you have a recipe you can share with us?
I love this recipe, it works every time – almond-stuffed chocolate dates.
- 150 g quality dark chocolate (70%)
- 20 large dates
- 60 g marzipan, optional
- 20 whole blanched almonds
- Break the chocolate up into pieces, then place in a glass bowl set over a small pan of simmering water, without letting the bottom of the bowl touch the water. Stir until melted, then turn off the heat.
- Cut a slit down the side of each date and remove the stone. Wrap a little marzipan (heat to soften slightly), around each almond, then stuff one in each date.
- One by one, dip the dates in the melted chocolate to coat, then place on a sheet of greaseproof paper to set.
Wow, more deliciousness – thanks so much for sharing Danijela, and we’ll see you at Handmade!